The days are getting longer, folks are breaking out their lawnmowers and everything feels a little brighter. Spring is officially here, and with it comes the opportunity to engage in a little spring cleaning. Along with the usual dusting, mopping and washing, you need to also think about spring maintenance for your entire HVAC system. As a ventilation, heating and AC service in St. Louis, MO, the team here at Ashley Brothers Heating & Cooling knows that caring for your HVAC system all year round is crucial. Here are five tips for getting the most out of your HVAC system this spring:
- Preventative maintenance: You change the oil in your car every 5,000 miles, you go to the doctor for a yearly physical even if you aren’t sick and you keep a little bit of money tucked away in case of an emergency. It’s called thinking ahead, but we refer to it as preventative maintenance. You ought to do the same for your HVAC system, which will involve changing out the filters, checking for leaks and partaking in a thorough cleaning of your AC, ducts and heater.
- Smart thermostats: Of course you want to stay cool in the spring and summer, but you might be wasting money and not even know it. Programming your thermostat to drop to a still comfortable but slightly cooler temperature when you are sleeping or usually out of the house can save you up to 10 percent on your energy bill. If you do not have a programmable thermostat, consider buying one, as it will likely pay for itself and then some.
- Give your AC a rest: Speaking of saving money and letting your AC take a break, you need to keep in mind that there are a lot of different ways to keep cool. Ceiling fans can help make air conditioners much more efficient and effective, while shady trees can help shield your house from the sun during the hottest times of day.
- Sealing and insulation: Does it feel like, no matter what, your house is always drafty during the winter and insufferable stuffy and hot in the summer? This might be an issue with your sealing and insulation. Invest in fresh sealing along the cracks and openings of your house, and have an insulation professional come take a look at your property. These simple steps could make your house up to 25 percent more efficient.
- Trust a professional: All of the above tips are great, but remember that you do not have to do it all on your own. Hiring a quality heating, ventilation and AC service in St. Louis, MO will ensure that everything on the spring maintenance checklist gets done, and that you are aware of any problems that could cause major damage in the future.
For more tips and help with spring and summer HVAC maintenance, get in touch with the team at Ashley Brothers Heating & Cooling today. We look forward to hearing from you.