Duct cleaning has become a popular service in recent years, with many providers of HVAC service in St. Louis, MO and even specialized commercial cleaning services offering it to their customers. But is the service worth investing in?
First, it’s important to know exactly what you’re getting when you get your ducts cleaned. Professional duct cleaning involves the use of specialized vacuums, blowers and brushes to clean out every part of your ducts, including intakes, supply and return ducts all throughout your home. The process involves a thorough cleaning of the registers, grilles, fans, air handler, housings, motors and coils in your HVAC system.
There are not any studies that indicate regular duct cleaning improves the air quality or reduces the dust in your home. However, there is plenty of evidence to indicate that a buildup of dust in your HVAC system makes the unit less efficient.
When to invest in duct cleaning
Duct cleaning is not always (or even usually) necessary, and the EPA even says the ducts only need to be cleaned if they or the HVAC unit are contaminated. However, there are some circumstances in which it definitely makes sense to have it done. Here are a few examples of these scenarios:
- Renovation: If you recently remodeled or renovated your building, your ductwork could benefit from a cleaning, especially if your home was likely to have had asbestos or lead paint. The remodeling process is likely to have kicked up a significant amount of dust and debris that could find itself lodged inside your HVAC system.
- Mold: If you discovered mold growing inside your ductwork, you should have your ducts and HVAC system cleaned, as this is one circumstance in which the air quality in your home can absolutely suffer. Mold releases spores into the air that trigger symptoms of asthma and other breathing conditions. It also can damage areas on which it grows, and cause an unpleasant, musty smell throughout your home.
- Animals: By this, we don’t mean pets. If you have discovered signs of an animal infestation in your ductwork, especially if there’s any nesting happening in your ducts or HVAC system, it’s important to have those animals removed and then clean out the system, and figure out a way to prevent it from happening again.
- Contaminants: If you regularly notice debris such as pet hair, dust or other contaminants being released into the room or frequently notice an unpleasant smell emanating from your ducts, then your ductwork may benefit from a good cleaning.
- Illness: If someone in your family suffers from unexplained respiratory illnesses or asthmatic symptoms, you could benefit from a duct cleaning at your home.
These are just a few scenarios in which it makes sense to seek out duct cleaning services from an HVAC service in St. Louis, MO. To learn more about the various repair, maintenance and cleaning services we offer, we encourage you to contact Ashley Brothers Heating & Cooling today and we’ll be happy to answer your questions.