Top Five Summer HVAC Maintenance Tips
Working with your HVAC system is a good idea no matter the time of year, but the summertime is usually when people are the most grateful to have a system that’s running smoothly. Air conditioning is a modern convenience that can really improve our quality of life, and HVAC companies in St. Louis, MO are ready to do what needs to be done to make sure your system is in good working order. Believe it or not, the summertime can also be a great time to make sure your heating components will be up to the task when winter rolls around.
Below are some easy maintenance tips, put together by our experienced team of HVAC pros, that you can follow to make sure your HVAC system is providing comfort year-round:
- Check the airflow: Any HVAC system is going to be judged, first and foremost, by the amount and quality of the airflow it produces. HVAC companies in St. Louis, MO are unanimous in recommending that customers help keep the air moving smoothly by changing their air filters regularly—every one to two months, depending on system use, household size, pets and other factors.
- Watch the landscaping: Exterior components of HVAC units are often situated in areas near landscaping, which can create a problem or two for homeowners. For starters, items like grass clippings and mulch can work their way into condenser units. Try to mitigate these concerns by giving outdoor HVAC equipment a wide berth when cutting the grass and by trimming flowers and shrubs near these units. This will help stop leaves and sticks from winding up inside and gumming up the works.
- Reprogram the thermostat: When summer months change your family’s schedule, it’s time to take another look at the thermostat. Later sunsets can mean later bedtimes, for example, which means that you can tweak the settings on your thermostat accordingly to increase comfort and save money for your entire family. Summer activities and vacations can also keep you out of the house for extended periods, meaning there’s no reason to run the HVAC at normal levels.
- Consider a dehumidifier: Even though air conditioning works by removing moisture from the air, you can supplement this with a dehumidifier. HVAC companies in St. Louis, MO agree that a dehumidifier can go a long way towards increasing the comfort of your family during the muggy summer months.
- Get a tune-up: One final option you should consider is having your system tuned up by a qualified HVAC service technician from Ashley Brothers Heating & Cooling. Our team can bring a fresh set of eyes to any concern while also working to make sure your HVAC runs smoothly for the next year (and beyond).
There are a lot of DIY measures you can perform to prolong the life of your HVAC system and ensure it’s working at peak efficiency, but we recommend you also give Ashley Brothers Heating & Cooling a call so we can provide a professional perspective. Let us put our two decades of experience to work for you—call us today to schedule service!