With annual maintenance by professional HVAC companies in St. Louis, MO, air conditioners can last for up to 15 years. Once your AC is getting up there in age, it’s time to start thinking about getting a new one. Finding the right air conditioner for your home isn’t as easy as picking one off the shelf. This post will cover a few of the things you need to think about while you’re browsing:
- Energy efficiency: The number one thing to consider when shopping for a new AC is its energy efficiency. Each AC unit has a Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) rating that quickly tells you how energy efficient the AC will be, much like looking at the MPG for a car. SEER ratings range from 13 to 21, with the higher numbers meaning the unit is more energy efficient. Though it may cost more upfront, buying a unit with a high SEER rating will save you tons of money each season.
- Size: Air conditioners aren’t one size fits all. What works for your neighbor’s home might not work for yours. A unit that’s too small won’t be able to cool your home, while a unit that’s too big will constantly cycle on and off, wasting a lot of money and adding unnecessary wear and tear. Luckily, your HVAC contractor can run a quick test to determine the proper size AC for your house.
- Brand: When it comes to air conditioners, we typically recommend going with a name-brand system over a generic. On top of being more trustworthy and longer lasting, the top brands in the business often have better warranties for their units. Again, splurging for a household name will cost more, but it’s likely to be worth it in the long run.
- Installation: Despite anything you might have read online, HVAC installation in St. Louis, MO is not a DIY job. Installing a new air conditioner by yourself might save you on installation costs, but you’ll run a far greater risk of messing something up, which will require expensive repairs. Leave the installation to the professionals and save yourself a ton of trouble down the road.
Is it time to buy a new AC?
Unless your current AC just stops running altogether, knowing when to buy a new one might be tricky. These are a few signs that you should call an HVAC company in St. Louis, MO to install a new one:
- Rising energy costs: As air conditioners age, they tend to use up more energy to cool your home, and if the unit uses more energy, you’ll notice a higher electric bill each month. We recommend cutting your losses and buying a new unit if that’s the case.
- Frequent repairs: Does your AC technician know your address by heart because he’s at your house so often? If so, that’s cause for concern! An AC that constantly malfunctions is on its last leg and should be replaced.
If you want an energy-efficient system paired with top-notch HVAC installation in St. Louis, MO, call our team at Ashley Brothers Heating & Cooling. We’ve been providing outstanding HVAC service in the St. Louis area for over 20 years, so you know you’re in good hands with our technicians.