With the weather heating up, your cooling costs are no doubt going up. While you want to be comfortable when it is sweltering outside, you need to get your energy costs under control in the easiest way possible. Take this advice from your AC service in St. Louis, MO on how you can reduce your home energy bill even when you have your AC running:
- Invest in a programmable thermostat: A programmable thermostat is the first recommendation from your AC service in St. Louis, MO that can help to reduce your cooling expenses. Simply installing one of these automatic units will allow you to manage the temperature in your home when you are away. You can set the temperature higher when you will not be home and have it automatically lower when you arrive
- Change your air filter: Making sure your air filter is clean is an easy way to ensure your AC system isn’t operating harder than it needs to. Dirty filters are the leading cause of air conditioner breakdowns as well as increased energy costs, as your air conditioning system will have to cycle on more often to keep your home clean. Your AC service in St. Louis, MO suggests that you change your air filter every month to maintain the efficiency of your AC unit.
- Check your air ducts for leaks: If you have holes or gaps in your home’s air ducts, you may be allowing cool air to escape. This can render your AC system ineffective at cooling your home, as cold air can’t flow into the different rooms as it should. Inspect your air duct system for any damage that has occurred that may be allowing cold air to leak out before it reaches your living space.
- Raise the temperature: By bumping the temperature on your thermostat a few degrees higher, you most likely won’t notice any difference in your comfort level. This simple activity can reduce your cooling costs significantly, while still allowing you to stay cool by running your AC system.
- Clean your air conditioner: If it has been a while since you have had a tune up of your air conditioning system, it is a good idea to have an AC service in St. Louis, MO come and clean your unit. Dirt and debris can build up over time and cause your AC to run harder than it should have to in order to cool your home. This can help lower your cooling costs, as your air conditioner will be able to operate without difficulty.
- Upgrade your AC: Now may be a good time to upgrade your AC unit, especially if it is older and not energy efficient. You will be able to purchase an Energy Star model that will operate using less energy, helping you to save on your cooling expenses each month.
Take this advice from your AC service in St. Louis, MO to help get your cooling costs under control. When you are in need of AC repairs, maintenance or installation, contact Ashley Brothers Heating & Cooling. We provide 24/7 emergency service to ensure our customers’ continued comfort all year long.