As a homeowner, it’s sometimes hard to admit there’s a problem with the house. For one thing, you don’t want to spend the next two weekends making repairs, and for another, it’s going to cost money. While ignoring indicators will make matters worse, acting on the early signs of HVAC problems can help you avoid costly heating repair in St Louis, MO. Here are some of those signs to watch for:
- Strange sounds: There’s usually a little noise when the heater comes on. It could be your old furnace rattling for a few seconds, loosened vents whistling or the unit itself might even sound a little unusual. But the strange sounds we’re referring to are loud banging, excessive rattling, popping or screeching noises that are either continuous or frequently occurring. These noises could indicate a problem with some part of the heating system, like a damaged HVAC motor, compressor fan, furnace blower or other components.
- Unpleasant odors: First things first, if your indoor air smells terrible, change the air filter and give it a few more runs. Dirty home air filters are the most common reason for unpleasant odors, yet many homeowners and renters have no idea they need to be replaced every one to three months to maintain healthy indoor air quality. After changing the filter, the odor should dissipate as you run the heater more. If it doesn’t, you could have dirty air ducts or corroding connectors. Contact a professional service for heating repair in St Louis, MO as soon as possible.
- Damage to heater: Regardless of whether you have an indoor furnace or a dual cooling/heating unit, make sure you take the time to inspect it for damage. Damage can range from electrical or gas line breaks to problems with internal components like the motor or coils, or even cracks in the actual unit. Some parts can be repaired, but others may need a full replacement.
- Particles in the air: Once again, not changing the air filter can cause all sorts of issues. It gets dirty and clogged, and since it’s a main channel for airflow, this blockage will hinder proper heater function. Noticeable particles in the air can cause a hazy, dusty screen in front of your eyes, and it can even lead to dry air that’s difficult to breathe. Furthermore, clogs may be a precursor to heater issues, including inefficient heat production and energy waste from the system overworking. Clean those ducts and filters for clearer, fresher indoor air.
- Thermostat issues: Do you feel like you are in a constant battle with your thermostat? You keep turning it up to bring in more hot air, but the indoor temperature is not changing at all. Make sure the thermostat has fresh batteries before panicking. Unfortunately, if it’s not your thermostat, this could be a sign of a big problem with your heater. It might be a leaky duct or a broken down heat pump. Take measures to ensure there is nothing seriously wrong with your heating system—call in the pros.
If your home or business is in need of heating repair in St Louis, MO, look no further than the expert HVAC team at Ashley Brothers Heating & Cooling. Give us a call today!