The best way to avoid costly heating repair in St. Louis, MO is to take preventative measures. Here are six signs that your furnace may need professional maintenance services:
- Unusual noises: You may here a click or other sound coming from your thermostat indicating the heater is powering on—this is normal. What’s not normal are unusual noises coming from your furnace. A loud bang when the unit turns on could point to dirty burners, while a whistling or howling sound during operation could mean the fuel supply is being restricted. Noises coming from your furnace that catch your attention should be checked out and diagnosed by a professional. A technician will come to your home to perform important maintenance and repairs to ensure you enjoy a warm home.
- No hot air: Regardless of the age of your furnace, problems with the heating system can cause serious heating inefficiency. If your heater is not producing heat when the system is on, and there’s nothing wrong with your circuit breaker, call an expert for maintenance.
- Strange odors: There are three main causes of strange furnace odors—dusty heating elements, new ductwork and broken or damaged components. If you smell dust, it should burn off of the heating elements and the inside of the ducts as the home starts heating up. Having new ductwork installed will likely yield an odd odor for the first several uses, but this should dissipate over time. However, smelling unpleasant odors, such as burning oil or rubber or even smoke, is definitely not normal. Call an expert so they can rule out a serious safety hazard or fix the problem.
- Inconsistent indoor temperature: Constant indoor temperature is important when winter weather arrives. If your air ducts are the right size for each room and all the vents are open, then your heating system should have no problem keeping all areas in your home at a comfortable temperature. You can check this by going from room to room when the heater is on to see if any rooms are colder than others, but someone in the house having to adjust the thermostat to stay warm is a big indicator of an issue. Get your system evaluated and find out if the HVAC unit, furnace or ducts are the wrong size for your house.
- Poor indoor air quality: Your HVAC plays a huge role in your home’s indoor air quality. Let’s say you’ve changed the air filter recently, but the air continues to be dusty, stale or dry. This could be a sign that a tune-up is needed. Older furnaces with clogged air filters or faulty humidifiers can also cause problems with your family’s comfort and health.
- High energy bills: Although energy bills tend to be higher in winter and summer, significantly higher bills in winter could mean your furnace is in need of maintenance or repairs. Worn or clogged heating system components make the heating system have to work harder, leading to less efficient operation.
If you are in need of heating repair in St. Louis, MO, don’t hesitate to contact the professionals at Ashley Brothers Heating & Cooling. We are here to help you year-round!